Pages

Monday 24 February 2014

Spring is on its way?

I am very lucky to live in, what I consider to be, one of the most beautiful places in the UK. Our house looks out onto field upon field upon field and we have very few neighbours. Although, if we are honest with ourselves, one of our main reasons for living here is because our beloved pussycat can roam in relative safety and we have plenty of space for our rabbits and guinea pigs!
 
Last week I spent as many days as I could out walking and getting some much needed fresh air. From indoors the sky looked ominous and didn't seem to hold much promise however I doned my wellies, waterproof jacket and walking rucksack and set off through the puddles.


My walk took me across fields and onto a deserted country lane and I ended up at the quaint little pub in the next village. Of course, I had to treat myself to a pub lunch and a coffee before setting off on my return journey. By the time I emerged from the pub the sky had brightened and the sun had made a welcome appearance.

I don't think I can feel happier than when I am breathing in the fresh air, feeling the sun on my skin and taking in the spectacular views around me. As I walked I spotted, what I assume to be, a family of five deer in a field adjacent to the road. I stopped to watch them as they sat happily exposed in the middle of the land, their antlers proudly revealing their positions. And what magnificent animals they are. They spotted me but did not move however I knew that at all times I was being watched in case I posed a threat. As I stood watching them a car past me and I felt sad that the occupants of the car had missed this occasion due to their hurry to be elsewhere. Someone once said to me that slow travel is the best way to travel and, in this case, I could not agree with them more. We miss so much as we rush through our lives and it is important to slow the pace and drink in the small wonders that occur everyday without us even noticing.

 
 
 
Towards the end of my walk I spotted these delicate snowdrops, the first of the spring, growing in the churchyard across from our house. They can not fail to remind us of the optimism the springtime brings. Aren't they just beautiful?


So, if the gloom of Winter is getting you down don't judge the day from the confines of your house. Get out there. Feel the chill on your skin. Wrap up warm. Breath in spring and marvel in the natural world around you.


VVx

No comments:

Post a Comment