Pages

Sunday 4 August 2013

A bathroom cabinet: Upcycle project #3

I couldn't believe my luck last week when I found this in one of my local charity shops. I bought it for the princely sum for £4.

 
I have been looking for a cabinet like this for a while but most of them on Ebay have already been upcycled (and selling for about £35+) or they are just ridiculously expensive.
 
Firstly, I painted the entire cabinet with 3 coats of Annie Sloane Chalk paint (see previous blog post for link) It was quite fiddly however I found that it was very easy to remove any excess paint from the glass mirror with a cotton bud and a cloth.
 
I then bought some beautiful Orla Keily wrapping paper which I planned to use on the inside of the cabinet. This paper is really good to use as it is thick, excellent quality and also has a different print on each side. I needed 2 sheets of paper however I have quite a bit left which I can use on other projects.
 
Here is the inside starting to take shape.
 
 
To attach the paper to the inside I carefully measured the paper and then cut to the correct measurements. It then simply slotted into the back of the cabinet. I also put some craft glue onto the paper so that it stuck nicely to the wood.
 
Here is the inside of the cabinet completely finished and attached to our bathroom wall after a lot of drilling!
 
 
Finally, to finish off the look, I waxed the entire cabinet with clear beeswax. I then changed the knobs from old bronze ones to lovely blue and pinks ones.
 
And, here is the finished article. All for under £20. A bargain, don't you think?  
 
 
VVx
 

2 comments:

  1. Just had to comment that this is beautiful work - excellent choice of paper too by the way, it works perfectly. I'm just discovering the world of vintage furniture now that we've moved to a new house; we want to fill it with interesting and quirky pieces, not just buy things new. I have no talents in this direction however, none at all :D So I'm full of admiration for those who do. Seriously well done! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much x I really am no pro, just a beginner really and it's all trial and error. Give it a go, you might surprise yourself. If need any tips just contact me! xx

    ReplyDelete