Pages

Thursday 1 August 2013

How does your garden grow?

This year is the first year that I have got round to finally growing my own salad and veg.
I started off with spinach, basil, lettuce, peppers and courgettes. This is how my lettuces started. 
 
 
After a few weeks I transferred them to grow bags outside of the greenhouse. The lettuces looked like little lettuce hedgerows as I had sown the seeds a bit too close together so I had to split them up. Also it is surprising how many lettuces you get from half a packet of seeds.
 
 
Here are the little lettucy delights a few weeks ago.
 
 
I have had to water them religiously every evening as the soon wilt and die if not. My poor spinach seeds did not make it and hardly grew but I did read that it is notoriously difficult to grow so don't feel too much of a failure.  
 
 Then this week, I discovered this little green pepper growing. How cute is he?!
 
 
It's been so rewarding and it lovely to water them every evening as the sun goes down. It's even nicer to know that what we are eating has not been covered in pesticides and is, more or less, free.




VVx

No comments:

Post a Comment