Pages

Thursday 8 August 2013

Utility Bedside Table: Upcycle project #4

Utility furniture was produced during, and shortly after, World War Two. It was commissioned by the government to help deal with the raw material shortage with the main recipients being newly weds or victims of bombing.

At the time, it is said that many people hated the design of Utility furniture. The look was, of course, simple, with straight lines and minimal, in any, features and certainly a stark contrast to the beautifully ornate pieces of the Arts and Crafts movement.

This week I laid my hands on this lovely piece. I was in two minds whether to keep it in its original state as I love to think about the story that it might have behind it. Was it given to wartime newly-weds when they excitedly moved into their first home? Or perhaps it was given to a family who were building up their home again?

 
On the back it has this really cute label.
 
 
As a compromise I decided to retain some of the original wood and do a semi-upcycle! Like my other pieces, I painted the top, sides and legs in two coats of Annie Sloan chalk paint in original. I sanded it down once dry and waxed it with beeswax, which smells amazing. I changed the knob from a standard metal one to a cream and bronze one, which tied in with the paint colour. Finally, I lined the inside cupboard with green and cream striped paper by Emma Bridgewater which, like the Orla Keily paper, is excellent to use because it has a double-sided pattern and is fantastic quality. And used the other side of the paper, a small green and white leaf pattern, for the main shelf. I love the mixture of the old and the new.
 
What do you think?
 
 
This piece of Utility Furniture is re-loved and ready for 21st century living
 
 
VVx


No comments:

Post a Comment